Saron Yitbarek: How to Build a Magical Living Room
How to build authentic and engaged communities.
Addis Ababa capital of Ethiopia.
- First to serve, last to eat
- Led by observing
Many, little problems
Make people feel valued
- Twitter chat #CodeNewbie
- Three rules
- Inclusion does not mean you want to include everyone. You don’t want to include the mean people, the assholes, …and when you are digustingly nice to people, the bad apples don’t want to sit with you.
- Validation that they belong
- Validation that they can do it
Get out of the way
- base cs podcast
iterate and now have transcripts as well
- Most conferences aren’t great for newbies.
- Follow and understand the talks
- Newbies need the why
- Financially accessible (scolarship for the attendees)
- Closed captioning
- Dietary retrictions (and labeling)
“When you are a newbie you don’t realize that error messages are your firends and you should not run from them.”
“If they hadn’t spoken up …”
- Environmentally friendly options
- Prayer room
- Low-carb lunch
- Bigger seats
A list of personal blindspot…
The bulk of the work is invisible
Small, consistent acts over time build trust
- All I want is to make you feel safe, and wanted and welcome.