The Language of Programming - Anjana Vakil
Anjana Vakil: The Language of Programming
- Is communicating with machines is the primary purpose of programming languages?
- Programs must be written for humans to read and only an added bonus tha the computer can also execute them.
- Allow to collaborate with other people.
- Tower of Babel
- There are about 7,000 languages used around the world.
- The World atlas of language structures
- Gender Distinctions in Independent Personal Pronouns
- Noam Chomsky: Syntactic Structures
- Michael Tomasello: Language Is Not an Instinct.
- programming paradigms
- Peter Van Roy: Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming
- Peter Van Roy: Programming Paradigms for Dummies
- prescriptivism vs descriptive
- Edsger W. Dijkstra
- Kenneth E. Iverson
- Conway’s Game of Life
- Matrix manipulations
- Array programming languages
- words are actions
- Kaya Thomas
s/whitelist/safelist/ s/blacklist/blocklist/ s/master/leader/ s/slave/follower/
- Ramsey Nasser: alb
- Scratch - multi-language programming environment for children.
foo = bar('baz') result = analyze('data')
- There is no canonical form to vocalise code.
- we can’t learn alone
- we learn in communities
- The Recurse Center
- code is language is collaboration is power