Jessie Shternshus: Unlearning - The Challenge of Change
Admittedly it is much better to experience her presentation than to “just” watch it, but if you don’t have the opportunity to attend one of her talks or workshops then watching the presentation is for you.
- Change is hard by inevitable
- Organizational change is hard
- “We are going to do an Agile transformation for the whole organization, but I can’t even do a 4 backwards.”
- CTRL-SHIFT by by Mike Bonifer and Jessie Shternshus
- “There is no mind harder to change than one that has been hugely rewarded for not changing.” - Alan Cooper
- “Transformation is not a transactional activity, it is ongoing and changes over time.” - Dan North
- Unlearning needs to happen on three levels in order to be successful: individual, team and organizational.
- Surface the resistance
- Hear what they have to say (not just nod)
- Identify the value for them to change (not for you)
- Find ways to break down barriers
Train them with experiental methods day by day
- Change habits
- Change mindsets
Bring in outsiders’ perspective
- Escape thinking - take all the attributes of something. Take away one attribute and discuss, how that will change that thing.